Getting the head prepared for glass particle blasting.
Around three month ago I finished my workbench on wheels. When I made it I decided to oil most of the wooden surfaces. For two reasons: I’m lazy, and I like the touch and feel of wood which is not covert with a layer of resin.
What I’m doing on this workbench most of the time is exactly the opposite of clean. When rebuilding a classic bike you deal all the time with dirty oil, or oily dirt, rust and smut. Of course I clean the workbench form time to time.
I made this little tool, after searching the internet for solutions to get the clutch out of the engine. Not exactly happy with it. I should have used some more of those metal plates. The single one has left some marks in the soft aluminum. When I need to use it again, I’ll screw at least two more of those metal plates on. Or I modify a tube wrench in order to use it with a wheel gun. But when putting it together again, I’ll need the holding tool anyway to use the torque wrench.
As I mentioned before I bought two bikes to start with. One of them wasn’t running for more then a decade and the other one was pretty much at the end of its life. Anyway the second one was a 1978 build. Which means it has a around ten horse power more. Biggest different is the cylinder head and the carbs. And this engine was running.
So I started to disassemble this engine first. To my surprise the head was not in such a bad condition. At least all the valves are tight. I poured some petrol in the in- and outtakes and nothing went through the valves. That’s a good start. The cylinders didn’t look so bad as well. A bit of the cross grinding was still visible. So I decided to stick at least with the head, the cylinders and the pistons.
Finalizing the lines of the fuel tank and the seat. Way more work then I expected. Now the base plate of the seat needs a bit more stiffness and under the seat will be a compartment
for all the electrics including a small LIPEFO battery.